Wednesday, March 24, 2010

uhhh,




Two Beach Boys songs in a week is too much. I've been incessantly re-listening to Do You Like Worms? and realizing I promote anything that changes pace, inserts a musical cough, or encourages general uneasiness. So, who else can I turn to but Animal Collective. Kids on Holiday. Here we come mister airplane.

If you'll excuse me, I enjoy the weekly television program called LOST. I'm thinking it may turn out to be the greatest literary show of all time. Or the greatest pain in the ass of all time. But it's got me thinking, and far as I can tell, that's more than most shows are capable of. It's got me thinking about Nietzsche and his complete acceptance of religion as a coping mechanism for mortal tragedy, or as John Lennon would put it, "a concept by which we measure our pain." When the veil of religion is lifted, you realize how truth has been obscured. Then you can begin to realize your life as you want it. What you choose is not dictated by what any number of people think is best for you. We have free will! And brain power! Glorious mechanisms! We are the human race, not a rat race. Also, I revel in the thought of dethroning and humanizing "god" (here comes Nietzsche - "A subject for a great poet would be god's boredom after the seventh day of creation"). So then what about those mysteries and unruly questions? They plague us if we dare think about them (again I go to Freidriche who says that "if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"), so what to do? I DON'T KNOW! That was at once a depressing thought. Now somehow a freeing one. All great thoughts are conceived by the waking.

No comments:

Post a Comment